You might be wondering about why I chose to do this and not put my time and money into something like a phone. It is because I care about others and about young people being happy, safe and able to have a voice.
I just had my birthday and wanted to use the birthday money I had to give something back to the community. In thinking about how I could make a difference, I began to think about how we could connect and learn from each other. Here, the idea of KidzWrites was born! I am passionate about children’s rights and in ensuring every young person has a voice. So, here are the 5 W’s behind KidzWrites:
- Who? Well, this is the internet so I can’t divulge who I am! However, I write under my pen name KW. I am a young person and want to ensure all that all young people can be heard.
- Why? To try to make an impact on other young people’s lives by having a safe forum to share thoughts, experiences and ideas no matter who you are or where you are from. KidzWrites is global.
- What? A safe online place where a young person can have their voice heard and their opinions expressed, without being criticized or judged. It also provides an opportunity to write and learn how to communicate.
- Where? Online via www.KidzWrites.com.
- When? We launched at the beginning of 2022.
So, how does it work?
Young people around the world can write about any topic that they are interested in sharing up to a maximum of 500 words. They must follow the rules that ensure we all stay safe and are respectful to each other and our communities. All writers write under a secret ‘Pen Name’ so they cannot be identified. The writing is submitted via the website on a Google form and I then review submissions to ensure they meet the rules before posting online.
So… get writing!